Other Sources of Tuition Assistance
Local Elementary Schools: Some scholarships are available to graduates of specific elementary schools and offer tuition assistance for incoming freshmen at Borgia. Check with your elementary school principal and/or pastor for information about applying for this tuition assistance.
- Julie (’89) Doorack Memorial Scholarship – $500 scholarship awarded to an incoming freshman who is a graduate of St. John the Baptist School, Gildehaus. The student must demonstrate strong commitment to Christian service, be self-motivated and enthusiastic, and exhibit a love of life. The scholarship is renewable with a minimum of 2.0 GPA.
- Glen Edler Memorial Scholarship – $500 scholarship awarded to an incoming freshman who attended St. Francis Borgia Grade School. The student must be a hard worker and exhibit strong character. The recipient must organize an annual dress down day to benefit the Alzheimer’s Association and the recipient is asked to spend 15 minutes each year during the week of Christmas at St. Francis Borgia Church praying for Glen. This scholarship is renewable.
- Tudy Meyer Memorial Scholarship – This scholarship is awarded to an incoming freshman from St. Francis Borgia Grade School. The amount awarded varies.
- Ella Jean Neier Memorial Scholarship – This $500 scholarship is awarded to an incoming freshman from Our Lady of Lourdes. An essay is required to apply for this scholarship.
- St. Francis Borgia Elementary Band Scholarship – This scholarship is awarded to an incoming freshman who was in SFBGS Band. This award is funded by the SFBGS Band Boosters. The amount of the award varies depending on the availability of funds.
- Gregg A. Schelich Memorial Scholarship – $500 scholarship awarded to an Our Lady of Lourdes eighth grader on the basis of financial need and average academic achievement. Selection is made by the OLL principal together with the Borgia principal. Renewable with acceptable GPA.
- Merrill (’50) and Francis Schelich Scholarship – $1,000 scholarship awarded to an incoming freshman who is from St. Gertrude’s Parish. The student must be in good academic, moral and discipline standing. The recipient must demonstrate leadership, kindness and a strong work ethic while at St. Gertrude School. This scholarship is renewable.
- Kurt (’91) Skornia Memorial Scholarship – $500 scholarship awarded to an incoming freshman from Our Lady of Lourdes parish. The recipient conveys a positive attitude, exhibits a cooperative attitude, and is active in school activities. This scholarship is renewable.
- Walter & Jean Voelkerding Memorial Scholarship – This scholarship is available to an incoming freshman from St. Vincent’s Grade School with financial need. It is renewable.
- Marie Wynn Memorial Scholarship – This scholarship for half tuition is awarded to an incoming freshman from Our Lady of Lourdes. Selection is made by the OLL principal and pastor. This scholarship is renewable with a 3.0 GPA. Only two students can have this scholarship concurrently.
Local Catholic Organizations: Some chapters of the Knights of Columbus and other Catholic organizations also offer tuition assistance. Applications are available through these organizations, parish offices and sometime, in Borgia’s main office.
- Daughters of Isabella – Circle 1082: The Daughters of Isabella is an auxiliary of the Knights of Columbus. The chapter in at St. Clare Parish offers a scholarship which is open to any student from St. Clair, MO. The recipient receives a $500 scholarship which is applied to Borgia tuition. The student must be active in St. Clare Parish and/or the St. Clair community and maintain an acceptable GPA.
- Knights of Columbus Council #1121: Scholarships are available to students whose fathers or grandfathers are members of Knights of Columbus Council #1121. To apply, the student must complete an application, submit a short essay, and obtain a recommendation from his or her school or parish. Consideration is given to academics, character and a desire to attend Borgia. Multiple scholarships of varying amounts are awarded each year. Applications are available through St. Francis Borgia, Our Lady of Lourdes, and St. Gertrude parish offices and in the main office at Borgia. Recipients are announced in June and scholarships are applied to the following year’s tuition.
- Western Catholic Union: $1,000 scholarships are available to students who are members of the Western Catholic Union along with at least one of his or her parents. The student must be Catholic and attending a Catholic high school. The application can be downloaded for printing or completed online at http://www.wculife.org/catholic-hs-scholarship-application/. The application deadline is the March. Recipients are announced in April.