600 Band Prep
2 semesters, 1 credit
Open to freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors
This course is for any student interested in learning how to play a woodwind or brass instrument. As students progress in the course, they will advance to concert band 609. Any students not completing the required skills or knowledge below will be advised to remain in Band Prep for a second semester.
By the completion of this course, student will be able to...
- Demonstrate proper playing technique.
- Demonstrate how to properly assemble their instrument.
- Demonstrate how to tune their instrument.
- Play simple rhythms using notes and rests.
- Play appropriate sight reading excerpts.
- Play different articulations.
- Play different dynamics.
- Perform and identify music from different time periods.
- Perform in small groups.
- Perform simple instrument maintenance.
By the completion of this course, students will know...
- The different parts of their instruments
- The note names on the grand staff
- The different types of notes and rests and the values of each
- The different types of articulations
- The different types of dynamics
- Simple techniques for fixing their instrument
This curriculum last updated on August 26, 2019, by the Fine Arts Department.